Alex Spence from Damage Makes the Podium at CCP Finale – Colombia

Our own Alex Spence from Tampa Bay Damage made the trek down to Bogota for the 2012 CCP Bogota Open in Colombia.  Guesting for the local Dye team Low Kill, Spence got to have fun, drink some nasty Colombian liquors, and play several quality matches against the best that Colombia had to offer.

“First thing I have to say is I LOVE MY LIFE. It’s easy to loose sight of things and forget how lucky I am to be where I am, have what I have, and do what I do.  This last weekend I was able to take a trip to Bogotá, Colombia for the first time (thanks to Dye) to play in the 2012 CCP Bogota Open. This was my first time in Colombia and it was a blast. With the little bit that I got to do/see I can tell that country has a lot to offer.

The trip started out on Thursday when I got there and like usual Customs scanned my bag and made me open it and pull out my DM13 and gave me a crazy look when they saw it. But after some pictures and a bad attempt at sign language to explain what paintball was they let me go. From there my hosts took me to dinner, where I got a steak. And I don’t care who you are when you go on these trips you always want to see a familiar face so it was cool when I found out that we were meeting up with a few other players and Shane Howe who I’ve had the pleasure of playing on Sacramento Damage with. Once we got together with them we headed to a few lounges and had some drinks including a native Colombian shot called Agaurdiente, and its horrible.

On Friday we got a chance to do some sight seeing at some underground salt mines that were pretty cool. The mines were dug into the side of a mountain and went thousands of feet into it. Inside they transformed it from a mine into several cathedrals that were truly breath taking in how big they were and how long it must have taken to carve these into pure rock. Hands down to the people who accomplished this, my conclusion is they had help from aliens…cause there is no way they did that with their hands haha. After the salt we took the scenic route home and got to see some of the countryside, which was nice except the face that the roads are mostly dirt that need a lot of work and it took about three and a half hours. That night I was exhausted and fell asleep without even having dinner as soon as we got back to my hosts house.

Saturday was the start of the tournament and the whole reason I was there. In the morning we got to the field around 10:30 am and they were just getting things moving due to a lack of power at the field. We (Low Kill) didn’t have a game until about 3:30 so we just hung around the field and I got a chance to meet a lot of new people and make fun of Tom Cole for a while. Our fist game was against Low Profile and it was a good game. We were all friends so it was fun with no problems at all. We ended up winning the game 2-1 in overtime. Our Next game was against Peil Rojas and it was a blood bath and a lot of fun, we also ended up winning that game 3-1. That night we went to a restaurant named Wings and enjoyed just that. We ended up sitting there for a few hours just rambling on but it was nice since it was in good company. After a few of us went and got some ice cream and then called it a night since we had to be at the field at 630 a.m.

Sunday we had to start early due to the late start on Saturday. We were supposed to have two more prelim matches both against DC Army who beat us the first match and since the second match wouldn’t have had any effect on the tournament and we were already guaranteed a spot in the semis we ended up skipping it and flipping a coin, which we won :-P . So when the prelims were finished DC Army got a bye into the finals since they were in first place, and we (Low Kill) would play Peil Rojas in the semi-finals to see who would go on to play for first and second. In the semis we didn’t hear the ten second warning so the game started while we were just standing there and weren’t ready so it cost us the first point and then it all fell apart after that, I lost a game I shouldn’t have because I thought the snake side was clear and we lost another point due to a major penalty on the snake side. The last point was a twenty-five second run through point that we ended up winning to make the final score 3-1 giving us third place. So Piel Rojas went on to play DC Army in the finals. The game started off with DC Army winning a good point with a solid number of bodies and then to finish the tournament off Shane Howe won an amazing 4v1 in 3 minutes to win the tournament with a final score of 2-0.

Overall it was a great trip and a really fun tournament. Hats off to the refs and the CCP league for putting on such a good event and keeping things running smooth. Even with starting over two hours late on Saturday and having to push a quarter of the prelim schedule over to Sunday, they still managed to catch up and finish the tournament with daylight shinning, which most will know that is rare to come by. After the tournament we ended up going to a lounge and finishing off the trip in good fashion with good people. Id like to thank the CPP for hosting such a good tournament, the refs for doing the job that no one wants to do, my host Luciano Parra and his family (especially his mom ;-) had to throw that in there haha) for letting me stay at their home, and most of all Dye Precision for giving me the opportunity to travel the world and play the sport that I love so much.”

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

« Older Entries Newer Entries »